Bellevue, WA 98006, US
- Well-rounded and can effectively adapt to different environments, concepts, and technologies.
- Variety of roles in software engineering/design, system/solution engineering, sales engineering, consulting, testing, and technical project management.
- Clear, in-depth understanding of mobile and IT network architectures.
- Experience with product, service, and software life cycle.
- Team and project leadership, with the ability to navigate complex projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills within teams and with customers. I like working with people.
Principal System Engineer
AT&T (December 2017 - Present)
- Architected, developed, and productized an internal web application to automate and expedite REST API design, maintenance, and delivery.
- Maintained responsibilities held under the Principal Technical Architect title.
Principal Technical Architect
AT&T (May 2015 - December 2017)
- Established best practices for web services across AT&T as a member of the internal standards team.
- Oversaw and improved API design, security, and privacy for externally exposed APIs as member of the external API governance team.
- Advanced the adoption of OpenAPI (Swagger) across the company by developing tools and educating internal teams.
- Consulted and mentored internal teams on API design to optimize the solution based on project goals and existing network architecture.
- Contributed a significant amount of content and knowledge towards an internal company-wide training program for REST APIs.
- Accelerated REST adoption by authoring numerous articles on REST concepts and design, and specifically with the microservices teams.
Sentaca (May 2011 - April 2015)
- Ensured proper service integration with existing architecture by collaborating with customers and internal teams on user stories.
- Designed and authored specifications for REST APIs.
- Promoted and educated customers on APIs at conferences and hack-a-thons.
- Streamlined internal documentation system by implementing tooling and process improvement.
- Developed automation tools for API verification.
Senior Test Engineer
AT&T Mobility (September 2010 - May 2011)
- Headed the performance testing efforts for the messaging platform.
- Mentored team members on mobile and IT networks.
- Developed software tools for automation, troubleshooting and to interact with the platforms.
T-Mobile (April 2010 - September 2010)
- Designed and engineered subscriber-based mobile network elements.
- Authored requirements, MOPs, and process documentation.
- Developed tools to streamline the implementation and troubleshooting.
- Successfully lead the engineering team on complex subscriber and partner migration to a new platform.
Technical Sales Engineer
Alcatel-Lucent (July 2008 - August 2009)
- Supported sales team with technical expertise for product presentations and consultations to the customer up to the VP level.
- Achieved highest-ranked sales engineer status by assisting the sales team to secure a major strategic win.
Senior Network Systems Engineer
Alcatel-Lucent (October 2005 - July 2008)
- Headed the performance optimization team from an engineering and project management role.
- Accelerated customer’s understanding of the products by providing presentations and weekly performance updates to customer up to the VP level.
- Reduced turnaround time and increased effectiveness of statistics reporting by developing an internal web-based reporting tool.
- Collaborated with development and system engineering on performance issues to improve the product’s performance.
HMS Software (December 2004 - October 2005)
- Translated requirements from the customer into customized code that implemented new features into our standard software product (manufacturing ERP).
- Performed testing, managed all bug fixes and collaborated with the customer on the integration of the solution.
- Increased productivity by mentoring other engineers in the Tcl programming language.
- Optimized legacy code by conforming code to new features.
ATT Wireless (March 2003 - November 2004)
- Engineered messaging platforms (e.g. SMSCs) within the company’s mobile network.
- Worked with the vendor to find the optimal solution and verification of the solution.
- Reduced response time and improved quality by developing several software tools.
Lead Network Engineer
PacketVideo Corporation (May 2000 - March 2002)
- Designed, tested and integrated our server (Linux) platform installation and architecture.
- Lead first complete integration effort of our product line into the customer’s network (JSP and servlets on Apache/Tomcat).
- Significantly reduced cycle time and improved quality by developing a customized RedHat Linux Kickstart installation.
- Improved internal communication by developing a web application for installation activities.
- Provided pre and post-sales support, including presentations for the customers.
Lead Systems Engineer
Motorola (September 1996 - May 2000)
- Design, tested and integrated products into the customer’s mobile network.
- Lead several major network changeouts for the engineering team.
- Enhanced subscriber accessibility by developing procedure and software tools to migrate/modify subscribers efficiently and in a significantly reduced time frame.
OpenAPI Specification (OAS)
Dual major in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics
University of Toledo
Study type: BS
Frontend Web Developer
Study type: Nanodegree
Asterisk Open-Source PBX System
Linux Journal (January 2004)
Use one system to manage voice over IP and conventional phone lines, manage voice mail and run CGI-like applications for phone users.
Hacking Red Hat Kickstart
Linux Journal (March 2003)
How to create a single CD for fast and easy customized installation.
Sayee Gurumurthy (Enterprise Architect, Visionary and Entrepreneur)
I worked with Brett for more than 5 years and is a great enthusiastic & approachable leader. His mastery on API design and documentation, has been critical in launching many successfully APIs in marketplace. Along with his API design skills, he has been leading in building tools for API creation, specification creation and development.
He is avid leaner and is curios to learning new technology and build tools to support his concepts. He is a great enthusiastic technical leader, who can take a concept from initiation to completion stage. Will be willing to work with him again as opportunity permits.
Bryon Donahue (Lead-Technical Architect at AT&T)
I worked with Brett for several years. He was a contributor to AT&T’s API platform and standards. Furthermore, we’d often consult with one another when confronted with difficult API problems.
Brett is an API expert. He’s worked on a large number of API projects that span wide variety of domains. Few people have the breadth and depth of API experience as Brett.
Beyond, his technical skills, Brett is the kind of person that people look to as a leader due to his strong oral and written communication skills and his natural ability to empathize with others. Moreover, you can count on Brett to deliver on his commitments.
Rajender Saini (Partner Engineer (Pre/Post Sales) at The Climate Corporation)
I had the pleasure of working with Brett for more than 4 years at the AT&T. As an architect and technical lead Brett's have the ability to command a room and get people on board with ideas—even people who were initially on completely different pages. As a team member or a leader, Brett earns my highest recommendation.
Tish St. Germain (Product leadership throughout lifecycle. Integrator of software & hardware development using Scaled Agile methodology.)
I’ve had the pleasure of managing Brett Schwarz for the past 3 years. Brett is passionate about good, clean, simple API Design and adherence to standards. He regularly demonstrates his mastery of technical tools and methodologies when providing recommendations to both project and tool enhancement initiatives. He is recognized as the lead subject matter expert at AT&T on the REST protocol, responsible for approving all new API designs, writing technical blogs, as well as creating training and development tools. Brett understands that technology changes fast and he works hard to keep his skillset up to date. Brett would be a significant asset to any team looking to leverage or deploy API’s in their architectural designs.
Karthic Raghavan (Principal Technical Architect at AT&T Services Inc)
I have worked with Brett for the past 7-8 years, and he has always gone above and beyond what he was asked to do. He always strives to improve products, services, and processes. He has great attention to detail and does the job the right way. He is very personable and a pleasure to work with.
I have come across many people who claim themselves to be an expert in REST API Design and Architecture but many of them are not even close to be an expert in it. But I can say with utmost confidence that BRETT is an TRUE expert in REST API Design and Architecture and a GURU in it. I have not come across anybody who is better than him in it in the industry till now. He is an pioneer in it working alongside with me as a co-lead in the North Bound REST API architecture for an REST API based gateway.
Dale Western (Systems Architect at AT&T)
It has been a pleasure working with Brett for many reasons.
He is a knowledgeable developer, very experienced in API design, documentation, construction and testing. Brett has provided consultation to numerous teams at AT&T in all these areas. Brett is very approachable, friendly and helpful. You can count on Brett to deliver on his commitments.
Brett grasps the latest trends and technologies in the field, pursuing them of his out initiative. He has shared his knowledge and taught others the best practices he has acquired.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the 5+ years I worked with Brett and would work with him again if the opportunity presented itself.
Ed Lambert (Director, New Product Development Engineering - AT&T Research Labs)
Brett worked on my team for many years, and was a key leader in pushing forward good API design. Brett has outstanding skills as both a coder and an architect that can understand business use cases, data models, and how to design highly reusable APIs. On top of that, however, Brett did incredible work on his own initiative to build tooling sets to make API creation faster and easier for other developers.
Brett is a truly outstanding senior technologist and I consider myself fortunate to have worked with him.