Principal engineer with in-depth understanding of mobile and IT network architectures. Possess significant experience with product, service, and software life cycles, and customer engagement. Effective at adapting to different environments, concepts and technologies.
Principal System EngineerAT&T (January 2018 - present)
- Assisted in the development and the architecture of the core components of the Common Machine Language Platform, including migration to Azure.
- Envisioned, evangelized, architected, developed, and productized an internal web application that reduces costs and speeds up delivery by at least 50%. Consisted of multiple microservices deployed to an internal cloud service (based on Kubernetes).
- Maintained responsibilities held under the Principal Technical Architect title.
Principal Technical ArchitectAT&T (June 2015 - January 2018)
- Established best practices for REST web services across all of AT&T as a member of the internal standards team.
- Oversaw and improved API design, security, and privacy for externally exposed APIs (over a hundred unique APIs) as a member of the API governance.
- Advanced the adoption of OpenAPI (Swagger) across the company by developing tools and educating internal teams on the benefits of using OpenAPI.
- Consulted and mentored internal teams weekly on API design to optimize the solution based on project goals and existing network architecture.
- Accelerated REST adoption by authoring internal best practice articles on REST concepts/design and collaborating on a company-wide REST training program.
Solutions ArchitectSentaca (June 2011 - May 2015)
- Achieved high customer satisfaction by ensuring optimal API solutions by collaborating with customers and internal architecture teams.
- Lead and mentored a team of 8-10 engineers for the developer program.
- Promoted API solutions at conferences and hack-a-thons by educating and demonstrating to customers the solution’s capabilities.
- Implemented a new API documentation system which reduced delivery time by 30%.
Senior Test EngineerAT&T (October 2010 - June 2011)
- Headed the performance testing efforts for the messaging platform, including authoring test cases, test case execution, and managing defects.
- Mentored team members on mobile and IT networks, by holding periodic workshops and consulting on various projects.
- Developed software tools for automation, testing, and troubleshooting of APIs.
Senior EngineerT-Mobile (May 2010 - October 2010)
- Designed, engineered, and supervised subscriber-based mobile network elements.
- Successfully lead the engineering team on a complex (total replacement) subscriber migration across the entire network.
- Developed tools to streamline the implementation and troubleshooting of services.
Technical Sales EngineerAlcatel-Lucent (August 2008 - September 2009)
- Achieved highest-ranked sales engineer status by assisting the sales team to secure a major strategic win.
- Supported the sales team with technical expertise for product presentations and consultations to the customer up to the VP level.
Senior Network Systems EngineerAlcatel-Lucent (November 2005 - August 2008)
- Headed the performance optimization customer team from an engineering and project management role, and improved network performance by 10%.
- Accelerated customer’s understanding of the products by providing presentations and weekly performance updates to the customer up to the VP level, on the core network (GSM, UMTS).
- Reduced turnaround time and increased effectiveness of statistics reporting by developing an internal web-based reporting tool (ETL, server, and client-side).
- Collaborated with development and system engineering on performance issues to improve the product’s performance.
Implementation EngineerHMS Software (January 2005 - November 2005)
- Translated requirements from the customer into customized code that implemented new features into our standard software product (manufacturing ERP).
- Performed testing, managed all bug fixes, and collaborated with the customer on the integration of the solution.
- Increased productivity by mentoring other engineers in the Tcl programming language.
- Optimized legacy code by conforming code to new features.
Senior EngineerATT Wireless (April 2003 - December 2004)
- Engineered messaging platforms (e.g. SMSCs) within the company's mobile network.
- Worked with the vendor to find the optimal solution and verification of the solution.
- Reduced response time and improved quality by developing several software tools.
Lead Network EngineerPacketVideo Corporation (June 2000 - April 2002)
- Designed, tested, and integrated the server (Linux) platform installation for both domestic and internal integrations.
- Lead the first complete integration effort of the product line into the customer’s network (JSP and servlets on Apache/Tomcat).
- Significantly reduced cycle time and improved quality by developing a customized RedHat Linux Kickstart installation for field installations and sales demos.
- Improved internal communication by developing a web application for installation activities, knowledge base, and configuration generation.
- Provided pre and post-sales support, including presentations for the customers globally.
Lead Systems EngineerMotorola (October 1996 - June 2000)
- Designed, tested and integrated products into the customer’s mobile network, for both domestic and international customers.
- Lead several major network changeouts for the engineering team.
- Enhanced subscriber accessibility by developing procedures and software tools to migrate/modify subscribers efficiently and in a significantly reduced time frame.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals
Electrical EngineeringUniversity of Toledo Bachelor of Science
MathematicsUniversity of Toledo Bachelor of Science
Frontend Web DeveloperUdacity Nanodegree
Asterisk Open-Source PBX SystemLinux Journal (February 2004) Use one system to manage voice over IP and conventional phone lines, manage voice mail and run CGI-like applications for phone users.
Hacking Red Hat KickstartLinux Journal (April 2003) How to create a single CD for fast and easy customized installation.
ReferencesBryon Donahue (Lead-Technical Architect at AT&T)
I worked with Brett for several years. He was a contributor to AT&T’s API platform and standards. Furthermore, we’d often consult with one another when confronted with difficult API problems. Brett is an API expert. He’s worked on a large number of API projects that span wide variety of domains. Few people have the breadth and depth of API experience as Brett.Beyond, his technical skills, Brett is the kind of person that people look to as a leader due to his strong oral and written communication skills and his natural ability to empathize with others. Moreover, you can count on Brett to deliver on his commitments.Tish St. Germain (Product leadership throughout lifecycle. Integrator of software & hardware development using Scaled Agile methodology.)
I’ve had the pleasure of managing Brett Schwarz for the past 3 years. Brett is passionate about good, clean, simple API Design and adherence to standards. He regularly demonstrates his mastery of technical tools and methodologies when providing recommendations to both project and tool enhancement initiatives. He is recognized as the lead subject matter expert at AT&T on the REST protocol, responsible for approving all new API designs, writing technical blogs, as well as creating training and development tools. Brett understands that technology changes fast and he works hard to keep his skillset up to date. Brett would be a significant asset to any team looking to leverage or deploy API’s in their architectural designs.Karthic Raghavan (Principal Technical Architect at AT&T Services Inc)
I have worked with Brett for the past 7-8 years, and he has always gone above and beyond what he was asked to do. He always strives to improve products, services, and processes. He has great attention to detail and does the job the right way. He is very personable and a pleasure to work with.I have come across many people who claim themselves to be an expert in REST API Design and Architecture but many of them are not even close to be an expert in it. But I can say with utmost confidence that BRETT is an TRUE expert in REST API Design and Architecture and a GURU in it. I have not come across anybody who is better than him in it in the industry till now. He is an pioneer in it working alongside with me as a co-lead in the North Bound REST API architecture for an REST API based gateway.Dale Western (Systems Architect at AT&T)
It has been a pleasure working with Brett for many reasons.He is a knowledgeable developer, very experienced in API design, documentation, construction and testing. Brett has provided consultation to numerous teams at AT&T in all these areas. Brett is very approachable, friendly and helpful. You can count on Brett to deliver on his commitments.Brett grasps the latest trends and technologies in the field, pursuing them of his out initiative. He has shared his knowledge and taught others the best practices he has acquired.I have thoroughly enjoyed the 5+ years I worked with Brett and would work with him again if the opportunity presented itself.Ed Lambert (Director, New Product Development Engineering - AT&T Research Labs)
Brett worked on my team for many years, and was a key leader in pushing forward good API design. Brett has outstanding skills as both a coder and an architect that can understand business use cases, data models, and how to design highly reusable APIs. On top of that, however, Brett did incredible work on his own initiative to build tooling sets to make API creation faster and easier for other developers. Brett is a truly outstanding senior technologist and I consider myself fortunate to have worked with him.Claudia (Gomez) Heidinger (Scrum Master (SAFe Agile) at AT&T)
I worked with Brett on the API Delivery team for almost 3 years. Whenever Brett engaged my team of software architects, the practice was innovative, results-oriented, and always drove toward improving the life our Developer customer base. Along with possessing strong technical knowledge, Brett is a great listener, able to locate solution by collaborating with others. I experienced effort Brett drove to automate how API specifications are created, along with a separate effort to automate the entry and requirements process for teams to submit request for their APIs to be reviewed and approved by a Governance Board. Both efforts saved many hours of administrative work and increased teams’ efficiency with an automated experience. Given the opportunity to collaborate with Brett again, I would jump at the chance! I am confident that Brett would be an amazing addition to any team. As a plus, Brett is a great guy with a great sense of humor!Paul Dubuc (Senior Management Consultant – Program Manager)
Brett is an extremely capable, reliable, and productive Engineer who I would be more than happy to work with again. He was an influential member of the team and instilled respect in every interaction. I can recall key instances when his input during times of crisis led to immediately diffuse tensions with practical steps to reaching a solution. He possesses a great disposition and uncanny ability to take on new challenges and find solutions. Highly recommended!Rajender Saini (Partner Engineer (Pre/Post Sales) at The Climate Corporation)
I had the pleasure of working with Brett for more than 4 years at the AT&T. As an architect and technical lead Brett's have the ability to command a room and get people on board with ideas—even people who were initially on completely different pages. As a team member or a leader, Brett earns my highest recommendation.Anandprasanna Gaitonde (Solutions Architect at Amazon Web Services (AWS))
I worked with Brett as part of the API Developer Program at A&T, where he provide guidance and direction towards the API architecture and design for APIs. This greatly helped the team to create a user friendly and streamlined API interface for external partners. His work on developer experience with APIs and his relentless pursuit for driving towards an optimal design was seen in several projects. His contribution towards standardizing API best practices and design across the organization is truly commendable. He would be great asset to have on teams that are working on large scale solution architecture and design. I look forward to working with him again.Sayee Gurumurthy (Enterprise Architect, Visionary and Entrepreneur)
I worked with Brett for more than 5 years and is a great enthusiastic & approachable leader. His mastery on API design and documentation, has been critical in launching many successfully APIs in marketplace. Along with his API design skills, he has been leading in building tools for API creation, specification creation and development. He is avid leaner and is curios to learning new technology and build tools to support his concepts. He is a great enthusiastic technical leader, who can take a concept from initiation to completion stage. Will be willing to work with him again as opportunity permits.